1. Style
Posted by hellcatgirl: "I got a wedding ringband on top of my hand not too long ago with my husband. I've recently learned that this isn't the best place to get tattoo[ed] because of wear and tear. My question relates to that- I loved my tat at 1st, but now that it's healed and the colored skin came off I'm noticing that some of the lines are very light, especially on the sides but also on the middle line which is on top...Is this normal?"

Advice? Comments? Join the discussion now!

Comments

September 4, 2006 at 3:18 pm
(1) shawn says:

You know, I actucally have a similar problem to your’s. I got a tribal tattoo on the top of my hand last tuesday (sept. 29/06), it looked great when I got it, but now with the skin/scabs coming off, you can notice how little ink is actually in there! My tattoo is supposed to be black, but its mostly grey with a bunch of places that there is no ink at all! It f***ing blows!

I went and talked to the tattooist and he said that it is normal for this b/c the skin on the hand is not as deep as other places, and a lot depends on how well you take care of it while its healing…long story short, I gotta go get it redone, you should do the same if your tattoo looks like sh** and is in the public’s eye.

November 28, 2007 at 4:16 pm
(2) mia says:

I have a butterfly on each hand. when I got them done I was informed that getting tattoos on the hand will fade eventually. that once it heals it would have to get redone at least one more time. and several times throughout my lifetime

August 26, 2008 at 5:10 pm
(3) Ryan says:

I recently had a tribal pattern on the back of my hand, mine is exactly the same, its pretty heartbreakin to think it looked better with the scab!! However i was told of this problem and advised it may take a least 3 goings over to get in lookin dark, Should look ok after that

January 15, 2009 at 12:42 pm
(4) Jonathan says:

Yeah I know the feeling I got my knuckles done and they were hard to take care of but after three touch ups they actually look black like how I wanted them

February 12, 2009 at 11:39 pm
(5) jenn says:

I just got a butterfly with my husbands initials. Probably the most important tattoo I’ve gotten so far. I have 2 others a blue rose on top of my foot and a butterfly on my shoulder. But the other two didnt turn gray or lose ink on the lines or color like the one on my hand did. And I’ve had it touched up once already. But at least where I went touch ups are free.

April 2, 2009 at 8:05 pm
(6) Little-red-XIII says:

I reicently had a tat done on my wrist and my artist said i will have to get it retouched maybe twice over the next year befor it stays solid.

May 18, 2009 at 2:35 pm
(7) Dan says:

Just got a beautiful tattoo on the back of my hand and underside of my wrist. Unfortunately the artist was Thai and neglected to inform me of proper aftercare instructions. Had it nearly a week now and the finer points still look good but the filled parts look as if i will have to get them redone. It’s a crying shame, but It was my first tattoo and I was pretty ignorant of how different body parts react.

August 18, 2010 at 5:58 pm
(8) Erin says:

i got my knuckles tattooed on my right hand; it was during a time in my life that was very difficult, and i made an impulsive decision; long story short, the tattoo artist didnt tell me how to care for the tattoo and i used a cream that made the ink spread a bit, leaving traces of bluish color on my knuckles; obviously i was quite upset for awhile, but have a good job and didnt have any issue with the tattoo; more people than you think have similar tattoos and you can cover them up with makeup. ill probably try to get it lasered off or lightened at least, but its not the end of the world.

September 16, 2010 at 3:33 pm
(9) jeremy says:

im in the same boat. i have SANCTUS tattooed on my left hand and its the second time i have done this tattoo. and the second time that it didnt turn out. the ink is very little and its mostly a scar with little bits of blue ink traces. oh well. point being, not the best idea to tattoo your hand. :(

November 25, 2010 at 4:48 am
(10) Sussie says:

I had a tattoo done on my left hand, just on the edge between the palm and the top, running up to the side of the little finger. The tattooist told me that it will fade away in a year (it’s survivable to have it redone once a year) – but he forgot to tell me not to wash my hands until its healed. So it has gone in three weeks (!) – but only from the palm side.
I just made it renewed, and decided to wear bandages on my left hand for three weeks. It looks ugly, but hopefully it worth the efforts.
Oh, yes, important: USE VASELINE! It keeps the surface creamy and soft, but never soaks it up.