1. Style
InkedMuse writes: Hi all. I love how crisp tattoos look when you first get them. I became a tattoo enthusiast this past summer. What do they look like after a couple of years?...I have been looking at people's tattoos. They look flat and blurry sometimes. Is this how they normally get?

How old are your tattoos, and do they still look like they did when you first got them? Share your experiences with tattoos and the changes they experience through time.

Comments

October 1, 2006 at 4:47 pm
(1) lilla says:

Iíve have quite a few tattoos, my oldest one is almost ten years old and still look like it did the day I first got it. Then I have a friend who just got herís about two years ago and itís starting to fade.. I think it all depends on you skin type, and how big your skin pores maybe.

October 2, 2006 at 9:36 am
(2) Ron says:

Tattoos really don’t fade its called patina just like on other old pieces of Art. Really this Patina can make a Tattoo look better (sometimes) than new, also shading patina can be used in redefining a old Tattoo with new work.

October 5, 2006 at 12:28 pm
(3) Kat Daddy says:

Depends on several things ~ If the Tattooist knows what he/she is doing, the Ink, your skin, how you care for it in the healing process and throughout the years.
If everything was properly done, you will have a good tattoo for many, many years.

October 10, 2006 at 1:42 am
(4) Estebana says:

I have a few Tattoos and one thing that is very important is to protect them from the sun, always wear sunscreen. Also the quality of the ink has a lot to do with it. And Finally always use lotion to moisturize the skin.

October 14, 2006 at 11:51 pm
(5) Kate says:

Yep, keep it out of the sun. I have one on my upper thigh and it’s about 12 years old. In my sunbathing days, I used to put opaque tape over it to protect it and it still looks perfect. Funny tan line is long gone, too.

July 18, 2010 at 12:07 pm
(6) johnnie says:

I work in health care and deal with the past generation that used to get tattoos. These were always men and they were usually in the armed forces. I think you are in for a big suprise as your body ages. I don’t think I have ever seen a good tattoo (clear enough to distinguish what it is) the always seem to be blurred and fade. They are always in places that would have been covered by clothes.
Good luck, lets hope your skin doesn’t sag at all (not) because it does some wonderful things to your art also