1. Style
lyrarain writes:"It has now been a year since I removed my 14g nipple piercings, after having them for eight years. I massage the exit holes in the shower whenever I remember, to help healing. If I pinch hard, I can get a tiny bit of waxy white material to come out. This disturbs me very much because it makes me think there may be infection. It is a little bit uncomfortable, but not in an inflamed way, just because of pinching too hard I think, and has none of the other signs of infection (heat, tenderness, fever). Has this happened to anyone else in the healing process, and do you know what it means? I am tentative about seeing a doctor because they have always treated me weird about nipple piercing."

Other Hot Topics This Week:
scarification & horizontal tongue piercing questions
tattoo degradation over time; more significant on the hand?
new piercing/barbell is disappearing into hole

Comments

August 15, 2007 at 4:51 pm
(1) kimi says:

ive had my piercings out for a good two years and almost everyday i can squeeze that white gunk out of it.. i dont know what it is, but my mom is a nurse and she said it is fine.. no worries!

April 25, 2008 at 3:31 am
(2) emikae says:

the white secretions are lymph secretions. it’s normal for healing piercings to have.
it’s composed up of lypmh fluid, white blood cells, and dead skin cells.

August 26, 2009 at 11:43 pm
(3) Lizard says:

I’m glad to know I am not the only one. I have made myself SICK with wondering if something is seriously wrong but I still wonder. I had my navel pierced at age 20 (10 years ago). I took the jewelry out over a year ago. I just realized tonight because I am sunburnt on my stomach and was looking closer at the area due to my burn that when I was turning my skin over between my fingers (like pinching but not hard) to have a look at the navel area, that there was a huge kernel for lack of a better word, of this waxy off white stuff… sort of looked like a seed that would just turn to cream if I squashed it… gross. I thought maybe it was sort of like pimple pus, the kind that is more like a seed than liquid. Low and behold 6 more smaller but still substantially sized kernels came out of the same piercing hole, within the next 2 minutes as I examined and squeezed/prodded the area trying to see if it was ok!! That really freaked me out. When I finally couldn’t get anymore of the white crap out, it looked like an open wound. Tiny but open nonetheless. I’m thinking that whoever said it’s lymph fluid, dead cells and pus, is right. I thought it might have been a build up of soap but I dont’ think so, since it looks like an open wound. I don’t understand why after 10 years it’s just getting infected NOW!? It was never infected when I first had it done or anytime after until now. It doesn’t smell or anything but I’m worried because the other side of my navel is my stomach and all my lady parts…. Idon’t want to risk major infection. not sure what to do…. I will see how the next few days go and if it continues I’m heading to the dr.

September 8, 2009 at 4:36 pm
(4) Samantha says:

Uh, has anyone had the white junk come out of the nipple itself too? I took my jewelry out two years ago for surgery, and the piercing sites still produce junk all of the time.

September 10, 2009 at 1:48 am
(5) Lindsay says:

I have had this happen for the past 4 years of having my nipple piercings out. I started to have a dark clear-ish substance come out as well. I went to the doctor and she told me that anything that is white or green is okay (BUT PUS IS BAD)- these substances come out when the nipple is stimulated (starting to lactate or to much nipple fun :) She told me to not stimulate my nipples- or let my anyone else for a while and things should improve. To test the color of nipple discharge- just use a clean square of toilet paper and hold it close to the light. Green may seem gross but my doctor told me it was okay! Hope this helps!

January 19, 2010 at 2:40 am
(6) Tara says:

I had my navel pierced twelve years ago, but I took the jewelry out about 11 years ago and never put it back in. I am experiencing the same problems, but I did not realize this until about a year or two ago. When I squeeze the top hole a thick, white substance comes out and it smells. I do not quite know how to describe the smell. Anyways, I just do not understand WHY after YEARS or not having jewelry in the hole that it is doing this. Should I be concerned????

July 20, 2010 at 10:55 pm
(7) Lizard says:

sounds like maybe its normal… but it bothers me… will it ever stop????? I find as long as I keep squeezing it just keeps coming out until i get a sick feeling in my stomach (disgust? fear?) and I have to stop because it gives me heebie jeebies. I hope someone who works for a piercing place who knows a lot about this stuff can maybe let us know if we should be concerned or if we should be doing anything about it.

January 1, 2011 at 12:20 pm
(8) J says:

I haven’t had Earrings for 15 years and I can still squeeze stuff out of mine. I don’t think it is anything to worry about.