1. Style

Your suggestion is on its way!

An email with a link to:

was emailed to:

Thanks for sharing About.com with others!

Most Emailed Articles

Baby Word Scramble

Question of the Week - Can Men Get Lower Back Tattoos?

By September 16, 2007

Q: I'm sorry to bother you, so I'll make it quick. Can men get lower back tattoos and be straight? I am married. I've been told alot of straight men have them. Thanks. -The guy who wants a tramp stamp! lol

A: The way you worded your question, I had to laugh. You don't ask if straight men get lower back tattoos - you ask if men can get lower back tattoos and be straight. Like if a straight gay got a lower back tattoo, it would suddenly make him gay.

The good news is, getting a lower back tattoo will not change your sexual orientation. However, I wouldn't say "a lot" of straight men have lumbar tattoos - it is more commonly found on women. But that doesn't mean men don't, or can't. If you want it, the only thing holding you back is you. While it's possible that a stranger may question your sexuality if they happen to notice the tattoo, who cares? Your friends and family obviously know who you are, and (hopefully!) you know who you are, so quit worrying about what other people think. If you're really worried about how "manly" you are, then get some cahones and do what you want!

Comments

September 17, 2007 at 2:59 pm
(1) rik says:

if you don’t want people to think of you as “manly” then choose something you wouldn’t see on a woman. i have a lumbar tattoo of a dragon and snake fighting with ice bars around them and nobody has ever asked about my sexuality…..

September 8, 2008 at 2:36 pm
(2) Zorba says:

I’m getting a rose on my lower back for my 50th birthday (2 years away). I’m straight, been married to the same great gal for 24 years now.

A “real” man does what he wants…

September 12, 2008 at 9:16 pm
(3) ImAguy says:

Lower back tattoos are usually considered feminine. However, I think it depends on what he decides to get that will determine if the tattoo shows weakness. Just my opinion…

September 30, 2008 at 11:16 pm
(4) Kelly Bond says:

Seriously, if you’re comfortable with your sexuality then just go ahead & get whatever you want. Forget all this crap about ‘manly tattoos’ & perceived femininity, or questionable sexualities! A tattoo is something that you have to wear for the rest of your days, so you might as well pick a tat’ that speaks to you.

Anyone that questions your sexuality, or manliness, because you have a tat’ in one place or another VERY CLEARLY has issues with their own sexuality – which is not your problem.

I have the tattoo of a snake curling from my thigh up over my hip, as well as a dragon fly with lotus blossoms in the small of my back, & love hearts on the insides of my forearms, & nobody’s ever questioned my sexuality… it’s all in the way you carry yourself. If you do it too much machismo, you probably WILL appear to be hiding something. If you treat other people with calm, open, friendliness, people will treat you with calm, open, friendliness. No matter what tattoos you have, or wear they are on your body.

It really is as simple as that. I guarantee it :)

April 15, 2009 at 9:09 pm
(5) John Alexander says:

I have many Dragons on various places I recently put a Valkyrie on my right leg calf. I am actually set up to get another valkyrie on one of my thighs, but I am having second thoughts as to if that is a manly place for a guy to put a tatt. If not I will put it on my other calf, You all let me know.Thanks

August 14, 2010 at 11:42 am
(6) bigdaddy says:

Im married and bisexual. I have thought about getting one

September 11, 2010 at 8:24 pm
(7) chris c. says:

GAY!!!
totally gay!!
whoever tells you that “lower back tattoos don’t make you gay” is seriously lying and/or stupid!
if you get one: you will forever be looked upon as a total pussy by other men!!!

November 22, 2010 at 11:05 pm
(8) Vince says:

Ask any guy and I’m sure 99.9% of them will say a man with a lower back tattoo is gay. Sure it doesn’t change your sexual orientation but the perception in our society is that only women should have tattoos located here and not men. It’s just that way it is. If you want to be perceived as feminine or gay, then go ahead and get this tattoo here.

To make my point even clearer, have you seen the Bud Light commercial where the female bartender and patrons have that awkward look on their faces when the male patron turns around and exposes his lower back tattoo? This is what you’re gonna get if you get this tattoo.

November 28, 2010 at 6:54 pm
(9) Kami says:

It’s very, very sad to see people react to this issue with such homophobia and bias. And it seems really weighted in a “western world” type of thought than other cultures. Remember, Sailor Jerry and Ed Hardy didn’t create the tattoo art form and (outside of some indigenous cultures and other societies that may have cultural guidelines about specific tattoos) there isn’t a rulebook on what kinds of tattoos men and women should get. Believe me, I’ve gotten my fair share of bad, nasty attitudes from people (mostly un-tattooed guys and women — mainly white, black and Latino) who think gals like me shouldn’t have big tribal tattoos because they look too masculine, but my images are from my indigenous culture and have deep meaning for me. Who are they to criticize me??

Tattoo is an art form millions of years old in many cultures across the world. Many men have had/continue to get tattoos in that area — and beyond. If you’re drawn to having an image placed in that area, go with it. Doesn’t matter if you’re straight, gay or transgender. It’s YOUR body. It’s YOUR journey. Forget the bigots and narrow minds. Tattoo is about a personal journey, not about getting permission from others about what tattoos THEY think are ok to get. I’m sure a lot of the naysayers think men who get flower tattoos beyond your standard rose images aren’t “real men” either. What a load of bull.

November 28, 2010 at 7:22 pm
(10) Daniel says:

People will make their own judgments on you regardless of what you get or where you get a tattoo. I have a large faerie art piece from the bottom of my hip to shoulder and a pair of large dog roses on the front of my chest. They all have deep meanings to me. I got them for me, and am not particularly bothered whether someone thinks the images are too feminine or delicate. The important thing is will it make YOU happy, and are you willing to live with it for the rest of your life, regardless of what others will think…as no matter what it is, how tasteful, how well chosen executed and placed, there will always be someone who has an opinion on it.

December 30, 2010 at 3:53 pm
(11) Jamie says:

I am a male and had a lower back tattoo of flowers that started in the middle and went up several inches almost to waist level and around to the sides. I love to wear low rise jeans to show it off.

February 9, 2011 at 11:45 am
(12) Dave says:

I am a straight guy in the mid term of life and have recently got a lower back tat of cherry blossoms, its not a small one either and will be easily seen above the waistlin. Gues what ! they’re pink flowers too. I’m not gay nor feminine in any way and I don’t care what anyone thinks, my Tat is for me and not for any other small minded males or females to decide what is acceptable or conforms to thier perception of what is right or wrong. I choose to keep mine covered in public at the moment…. thats my choice. Tats are personel so if you want one…. get one and stuff them… I love my Tat it gives me pleasure and that is what Tats are for.