1. Style

QOW: Stretching a Prince Albert Piercing

By October 5, 2008

Question: I've had an 8 gauge Prince Albert piercing for 3 weeks. It seems to have healed nicely, but I'm still keeping it clean. My question is, how long do I need to wait before I can stretch the piercing? Also if you recommend I buy a taper for the next size or if I should go back to my piercer to have it stretched. I am used to the process of stretching earlobe piercings; I buy a taper, lube it with vitamin e oil and slowly stretch the hole, usually taking an hour before putting the next size jewelry in. However, I'm a little intimidated by the thought of taking the CBR out of the PA and changing the jewelry.

Answer: I would recommend that you wait until your piercing is at least 4-6 months old before you attempt a stretch. I know it seems healed now after 3 weeks, but there is a lot of tissue on the inside that still needs time to mend. The penile glans is much more fibrous and dense than an ear lobe, and it's obviously also a much more sensitive area - damage to the tissue from a premature stretch could cause a lot of pain with regular movement and urination, which is something you kind of can't avoid!

Once you're ready to stretch, I would suggest going to your piercer at least once and see how they do it. It's not a straight shot like through the earlobe, and again - the last thing you want to do is cause any damage.

Comments

October 5, 2008 at 4:53 pm
(1) snowfalcon says:

I have a PA. It was started at 8 gauge and is now at 4.

I was going to go to the piercer to have it stretched after the two months healing he recommended. (Note: I’m just relating my experience, not a recommendation.)

The 8 gauge ring was “loose” in the hole, and actually starting to feel like it was cutting. I had a 6 gauge ring from other things and decided to try it. It slipped in so easy, that I very cautiously got the 4 gauge ring I was intent on and it slid in like nothing.

For me, I think they stretch a bit on their own, to a point. I tried a 2 gauge ring and that was too much. It went in without major tapering, but seemed to create a reservoir for urine that would leak some time after “business was done”. So that’s saved for when I don’t have to wear khaki. ;)

October 7, 2008 at 10:07 am
(2) Sin says:

I would say wait until it is fully healed and oomfortable. Most piercings will stretch slightly the longer you have them. So it would easier, less painful, and less of a risk for infection if you wait about 6 – 12 months.

October 17, 2008 at 3:43 pm
(3) izzy says:

hi…i had a PA done two weeks ago and want to know when is it safe to remove it?

also do i need to go to the tattooist to get him/her to remove it?

November 1, 2008 at 8:43 pm
(4) chris says:

you can remove your piercing for a short time after it has healed (6 weeks to 4 months). Depending on the person, the hole will close pretty quickly, but for some they can leave it out for extended periods of time.

If it’s new, I wouldn’t take it out…it will take longer to heal and it may close up. Plus you could cause bleeding or scarring.

May 4, 2009 at 9:19 pm
(5) Jonathan says:

I have a PA and had to remove it when I went into hospital for surgery (not in that area).. I was a bit rough for a week or two and as I needed to keep going in and out of doctors offices and hospital it was 2 weeks before I was able to put the PA back in (7mm).. It was a tough job using the taper again to get it back in, but two weeks on it can still be very very sore!!

It look healthy enough, no smells, heat or redness and I was on strong antibiotics after surgery for 2 weeks too, no dont think there can be an infection there… but why is it still so painfull?? and how can I relieve this without going down a size to one that felt too narrow o be comfortable when originally used..
The 7mm was so comfortable and so much fun before I had to take it out…

September 13, 2009 at 10:01 am
(6) Graham says:

I’ve had a PA for over 15 years and I’ve gradually stretched it by waiting for it to get loose and simply fitting larger jewellery. I ofetn have to go without anything in it for weeks at a time due to airport security checks, etc. and it shrinks down a little, but I can always get back to the full size by wearing a smaller ring for a few hours first. All the internal surface of piercings is made up of scar tissue, so it isn’t very elastic. You have to be careful stretching it up and it doesn’t just ‘disappear’ if you wear nothing. My PA is currently 15mm thick and 40mm diameter and made in two halves which fix together with a hidden screw. I have an insertion taper which fits onto one half so I can get it into the piercing easily.
Like most things that give pleasure, it has to be looked after properly.

October 31, 2009 at 2:53 pm
(7) tquarry says:

A couple of PA questions:

1) If I take my healed 4ga PA out, will the hole close up? Or is there a need to open the sides of hole up surgically so as to get the sides to heal together?

The reason I ask is because I am tired of the complications of this piercing. I’ve been pierced for over one year. I was pierced at a 10ga, and slowly sized up to 4ga. My piercing healed without any hitches. However, now that I’ve moved to a larger size, there is a significant increase in the odor. I am infection free, and I shower regularly and thoroughly with antibacterial soap. If I cannot find a solution to the odor, I am going to take the piercing out, hole closing or not.

2) Do you know any magical cure for the funky piercing smell that I’ve not found out about yet?

Thanks for your help.

January 6, 2011 at 3:18 pm
(8) John says:

I just got a PA. The piecer told me that it’s a 12g ring and that is really the “starter” ring. I’m reading here that people started with 8g. I thought that the lower the number the thicker the ring. What’s what? I will wait the 8 weeks as many have suggested before trying to go larger but have no clue about sizing now… I’m a bit confused. Any ideas, comments, thoughts, would be appreciated. Thanks!

February 2, 2011 at 1:58 am
(9) Paul says:

The smaller the number, the thicker the ring. So an 8g ring is thicker than a 12g ring.

March 18, 2011 at 7:19 am
(10) John says:

Thanks for the note. I now have a 10g barbell and can’t wait to go larger. Everyone said I did it too soon and to wait a few more months before trying again. I’m curious to know if I can start stretching it somehow. Any suggestions?

April 2, 2011 at 7:47 pm
(11) STICK says:

My Prince Albert is a 00gauge. I downsized from a 7/16″gauge acrylic ring. My p.a. keeps stretching, I have a 00gauge titanium ring which is light weight. However, the ring and of course larger gauge bead just roll on through. Should I gauge back up or what? I need some input please.