1. Style
Jodie Michalak

Stalking Cat Dennis Avner Cat Man Dead at 54

By November 12, 2012

dennis Heavily modified, pierced and tattooed, some knew Dennis Avner as the oddity who went by his Native American name, Stalking Cat, while others knew him as the brother, friend and son he was.

After undergoing extensive cosmetic procedures to look like a tiger from the animal totems in Huron traditions, Dennis felt his spirit was called to the wild and made it is goal to modify his body in honor of the beast.

On November 5th 2012, Dennis Avner was confirmed dead at 54. His body is being held in Tonopah and suicide is the speculated cause of death.

Dennis helped pave the way for many body modification enthusiasts and was said to be a kind and gentle man. May he rest in peace.

Comments

November 13, 2012 at 11:51 am
(1) Nats says:

These are not my words, from someone else on a different site but I thought they were so nice that I’d share them.

This is really sad. I took a class in college about perceived monsters, social deviants and subcultures, and the people who identify themselves as such. We were lucky enough to have a live, hour-long Skype interview with Dennis and he was incredibly intelligent, patient and friendly. He only pursued what made him happy and came by it honestly. He told the class his earliest memory was wondering where his tail went. The world lost a really kind, gentle guy and the body mod world lost a pioneer who did a lot for people seeking to identify themselves as more than their physical bodies allowed. Rest in peace, Cat.

November 13, 2012 at 12:21 pm
(2) Tony says:

He wasn’t just a good guy. He was grrrrrreat!

November 13, 2012 at 1:08 pm
(3) Matty says:

Having met him before, this is incredibly sad. He was a very intelligent, illuminated individual. The world is a worse place for his passing.

November 13, 2012 at 1:29 pm
(4) Kotaki says:

Wow I am shocked to see this! He has been to my house before…
I have trouble believing it is a suicide since he had so many friends that would have helped in.

I was looking forward to seeing him at MFF this weekend, since he always seemed to be there.

November 13, 2012 at 3:52 pm
(5) Pixie says:

I have always loved reading about him. Getting inspired for some of my modifications. Though nothing near as extreme as him I know that wanting more with my body I am not alone.

November 13, 2012 at 4:15 pm
(6) Art Penn says:

Must’ve been really bummed out about the election… and nobody ever suspected he was a republican.

November 13, 2012 at 5:28 pm
(7) Alan says:

What a cat-astrophe.

November 13, 2012 at 5:41 pm
(8) tGF says:

RIP, Dennis. You will be missed.

November 13, 2012 at 7:18 pm
(9) Bigpaws Bear says:

Goodbye Dennis, you will be missed by convention staff and attendees alike all over the U.S.

May your soul find the peace you were always seeking.

-Bigpaws-
FURther CONfusion A/V Staff 1998-2005
BayCON A/V Staff 1999-2005
OklaCON A/V Staff 2008

November 13, 2012 at 10:20 pm
(10) kookoo says:

I think this article is written in a way that leads you to think he hung himself because of the modification. I kept looking for the reason in the article but it is not there. We do not know why he hung himself. He could have learned he had a terminal illness or lost all his money in the stock market. Instead it is implied that it was due to the modifications. What a judgey stereotypical article.

waste of time

November 14, 2012 at 3:01 am
(11) Mark Combs says:

kookoo, that’s all in your head. There is no such implication in the article. You are simply exposing your own issues in public.

November 14, 2012 at 6:08 am
(12) Gill Avila says:

There are no tigers in Nevada.

November 14, 2012 at 11:15 am
(13) KrispyKreme says:

#2 Tony, your comment made me laugh out loud.

November 14, 2012 at 12:58 pm
(14) Holden says:

All I can think about when I am reading this is the “Sorry Roger, you tiger now” commercial. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=It0ozA0dXQY

November 14, 2012 at 7:39 pm
(15) Cre says:

I take it he didn’t have 9 lives.

May 3, 2013 at 1:00 pm
(16) Edd Hall says:

Aw no I had no idea this had happened!
He was pretty eccentric but I respect how he did what he wanted with all that cosmetic surgery.