There is more to preparing for a tattoo than just walking in a studio and saying, 'This is what I want.' Here is some practical advice to take into consideration before going 'under the needle'.
Time Required: Not Applicable
- Go to a professional artist, not a friend working out of his kitchen or basement.
- Choose a design that is right for you.
- Start taking Vitamin C and Zinc to boost your immune system.
- Stay away from alcohol for 72 hours before your tattoo.
- Make sure you a free of any virus or infections.
- Visit more than one shop to make the best choice of artists.
- Check a prospective artist's portfolio, and watch them work.
- Work within your budget. Be upfront about how much you can spend.
- Ask if you need to make an appointment first with the artist.
- Listen to your artist's suggestions. They might have some good ideas.
- If you make an appointment, be there. If you can't, let them know.
- Alcohol thins the blood. If you drink before you ink, you're going to bleed heavily. This makes it very difficult for your artist to do clean work.
- If you have a cold or virus, your immune system will be low, making it difficult for your tattoo to heal. Wait until you are healthy.
- As the saying goes, 'Good tattoos are not cheap, and cheap tattoos are not good.'