1. Style

QOW - Is Rejection a Risk With Tattoos, Too?

By April 20, 2008

Question:
Hello. I was reading up about the migration & rejection process. It happened to me when I got my belly button pierced. I now want a tattoo, but I am scared that my body will "reject" that too. Is that possible?

Answer:
Good question! But that's not likely to happen. Piercings tend to reject on a regular basis and the same people that have piercings reject won't have any trouble at all with a tattoo. It's the foreign object of the jewelry that seems to cause the body to decide it doesn't like and want to push it out, but the body doesn't seem to consider ink a foreign object. The only times I've ever heard of anyone "rejecting" a tattoo was because they were taking a certain kind of medication that didn't react well with getting a tattoo - if you have any concerns about vitamins or medications you're taking, discuss those with your artist. Otherwise, you should be just fine.

Comments

April 20, 2008 at 5:08 pm
(1) teri says:

i have a friend who tried to tattoo someone who wouldn’t take ink. the lady eventually went to another tattoo artist. again, she would not hold the ink. why would that happen? she told my friend that she was not on any medications. you could see the marks from the tattoo needles but no ink stayed in.

April 20, 2008 at 7:01 pm
(2) SD_Cat says:

In my experience, your body could reject the tattoo ink…or certain colors of ink used in the tattoo. I hold color very well, but red, ugh, red hates me. Healed horribly on me – rough, patchy and scabby. Alot of the color lifted out of the tattoo as it healed. It won’t “migrate” – the color can just come out. However, once my red healed, my artist went over the red (with the same red) again, and the color stayed. Sometimes, it’s the color (red for many people), sometimes it can be the brand of ink that doesn’t work/works on certain individuals. Some of my purple puffed up while healing, but the color stayed. The next time we used purple in a tattoo, my artist used a different brand of purple ink, and it was fine. My husband has a problem with white ink – it does on him what red did to me. Everyone’s different, so it’s hard to say how your ink will take. Just make sure you take good care of the tattoo while it’s healing, and follow the aftercare – that’s the best course to follow. Good luck & enjoy your “permanent art”!

April 23, 2008 at 7:19 am
(3) tailor says:

i really agree by SD_Cat .some bodies reject the ink color so before having a tattoo make sure about what ink will stay .if you don’t do that you can see only the marks of needle but no ink

April 24, 2008 at 1:43 pm
(4) Phil says:

As a tattoo artist, I’ve never seen anyone who’s body won’t take ink. I’ve been tattooing for 8 yrs. and the only problem I’ve seen is with red ink. That was more of an allergic reaction than anything. The manufacturing of ink has become more high-tech in recent years. I advise people to talk to the artist, ask questions. If the artist can’t or won’t answer them then go somewhere else.

June 6, 2008 at 12:19 am
(5) Angie says:

My daughter got a tattoo almost 2 weeks ago and now it looks like a blister the flaking and peeling you are talking about is nothing like this looks. I have 2 tattoos myself and mine did the normal flaking but this looks just like a blister the color is almost all gone. Wondering if this would be ink rejection or what??????????????

June 30, 2008 at 1:13 pm
(6) champ says:

hopefully the artit didnt push a hair under the skin. depends where it is could be an infection. did she go tanning also sunlight might have caused a burn if it was a blacklight ink ?

July 29, 2008 at 8:36 pm
(7) Lindsay says:

I got a tattoo about a month ago on the top of my foot. The area above the tattoo has turned a bluish – does anyone know if this is migration of the ink under the skin or just delayed healing/bruising. It looks like a bruise but it doesn’t hurt. Please contact me if you have any advice – I’m going to the doctor tomorrow.

June 20, 2009 at 6:52 pm
(8) dee says:

I’ve started tattooing 6 months ago and one out of ten people the black ink comes out and it looks like i did it with pen, could it be ink or depth problem? i always do free touch-ups if they need it,I use name brand tribal ink too. I am slow but no other issue with these tattoos, very slight bleeding no blistering or scabs or infections most say very little pain.what do you think thanks.

September 22, 2009 at 3:49 am
(9) spence says:

I have been a tattoo artist for 4 years and have done hundreds of tattoos. I would say I have had about 20-30 people push the ink out. Some people push more white blood cells out then others, all you can do is ink everything and do it in sessions. But yes some medications that thin blood cause this to occur as well